Choosing the Right Rug
A rug can be the glue that brings a room together. There’s a rule of thumb that the bulk of a design budget should be spent on horizontal surfaces – carpets, duvets, bench tops etc and some say you should start with the floor and work up. Whether or not you agree, the right rug can transform a room.
If you need a change, a new rug is an easy and economic way to change a space and create a new look. Rugs make a room look comfy and warm – and they’re especially kind to bare feet in winter.
Here are five ideas to get you going:
- Consider where the rug will be. High traffic areas will benefit from a flat weave rug, they’re more durable and easier to clean.
- Sisal and jute create a casual and modern look.
- Is your rug a statement and focal point? Be generous and scale the rug to fit the room.
- For safety’s sake make sure you put a non-slip rug pad or tape under the rugs.
- How will you care for your rug? Some small rugs can be machine-washed, others can be hung outside to get rid of dust – carpet beating’s been a household job for generations! Professional cleaners do a great job and it’s a good idea to schedule cleaning your rugs at least once a year.
Posted: Thursday 7 May 2015